Connect with us

Incredible Meteorite Lights Up Detroit Sky: Panic as it Crashes to Earth

News

Incredible Meteorite Lights Up Detroit Sky: Panic as it Crashes to Earth

Incredible Meteorite Lights Up Detroit Sky: Panic as it Crashes to Earth

The night sky lit up over Detroit, causing wide-spread panic – but it was a sight to behold. There are multiple videos out there showing how a meteorite split the night sky and came crashing down to earth, but scroll down to see the best one.

It caused a 2.0 earthquake in its wake as well according to the United States Geological Survey. The earthquake was centered about five miles west-southwest of New Haven, Michigan, located about 40 miles northeast of Detroit. A number of residents caught the incident on their cellphones and others saw it throughout Michigan as they looked to the dark sky. It was seen as far away as Chicago and across the border in Canada. The fireball was a spectacular sight to behold. Even though there was an earthquake, they still have no confirmation of impact as of yet.

The American Meteor Society says it received hundreds of reports of a fireball The American Meteor Society says it received hundreds of reports of a fireball Tuesday night over the state, including many in the Detroit area. Some people reported their homes shook. According to experts, the meteorite penetrated deep into our atmosphere before breaking up. People are already on edge over North Korea… this just made it worse. But authorities claim it was just a natural event.

Bill Cooke with NASA’s Meteoroid Environment Office tells The Detroit News it was ‘definitely a meteoroid’ and a rare sight for Michigan. I have seen a meteorite or two in my lifetime. They are memorable.

Other states that got to see the show were Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Missouri. Ingham County Emergency Management Update sent out a text message to residents reading: “Multiple sources report that a fireball meteor was seen over the county earlier this evening. While many also reported an explosion, there is no indication that anything landed on the ground or caused damage. Most likely it was the boom of the meteor breaking apart. And that there is no need to call 911.”

The head of astronomy at Cranbrook Institute of Science, Mike Narlock, said that the flash of light was seen as far away as Chicago. That’s 200 miles from where it exploded over Michigan. Narlock said, “I have heard people saw it as far Chicago, which if that’s true that tells me it happened pretty high up in the atmosphere if they’re seeing it from that distance.” They think this was a bolide meteor and that it exploded six to ten miles above the ground. A bolide, also known as a fireball, is a special type of meteor that explodes in a bright terminal flash. Usually it results in fragmentation and then you have meteorites that light up the sky.

The last time I know of this happening was over Russia in 2013. One hit and busted every window around when it exploded. People were actually hurt by that one. When these fireballs come in, they can be silent or crackle as they zip towards the earth. The chances of a meteor making it to earth intact are remote. It would have to be very big. The National Weather Service (NWS) put out a statement on the extraordinary event saying: “After reviewing several observational datasets, the NWS can confirm the flash and boom was not thunder or lightning, but instead a likely meteor. We continue to monitor feeds from astronomical agencies for official confirmation of a meteor.”

One of the videos came from a car traveling at the time of the meteorite flashing through the sky. The impressive dash-cam footage, recorded from a vehicle traveling on a highway near Detroit, shows a dazzlingly bright object hurtling towards the ground. There are pictures of the event all over social media. It trended. The sparkling display sent social media users into a frenzy, making “#meteor” a top 5 trending topic in the US on Twitter. Some people were terrified when it happened, others were just fascinated. On Twitter, people reacted with shock at the phenomenon. “Did Michigan just get hit with a meteor? A bomb? A UFO?” one person said.

Nope, this was a meteorite and I don’t think anyone was hurt by it. But it certainly did put on a show for a lot of people. It also shows just how on edge everyone is these days.

Continue Reading
You may also like...
13 Comments

13 Comments

1. gamefly free trial

May 28, 2019 at 9:30 am

Good post but I was wondering if you could write a
    litte more on this subject? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Appreciate it!

2. gamefly free trial

May 29, 2019 at 10:05 pm

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I
    would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me.
    I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to
    get the hang of it!

3. gamefly free trial

May 31, 2019 at 10:49 am

Just want to say your article is as amazing.
    The clarity on your put up is simply nice and i can suppose
    you’re knowledgeable in this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to snatch your
    feed to stay up to date with approaching post.
    Thanks 1,000,000 and please continue the gratifying work.

4. gamefly free trial

June 2, 2019 at 11:41 pm

Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga
    group? There’s a lot of people that I think would
    really appreciate your content. Please let me know.
    Many thanks

5. gamefly free trial

June 4, 2019 at 9:33 am

This design is spectacular! You most certainly know how
    to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I
    was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Great job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.

Too cool!

6. gamefly free trial

June 6, 2019 at 12:08 am

Thanks for every other informative site. Where else may I
    get that kind of information written in such an ideal way? I’ve a venture that I’m
    just now working on, and I’ve been on the glance
    out for such info.

7. gamefly free trial

June 6, 2019 at 6:08 pm

I’m extremely inspired along with your writing skills and also with
    the structure on your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway stay up the nice high quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one today..

8. download games on ps4

June 7, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.

Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but
    I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to start.
    Do you have any tips or suggestions? Appreciate it

9. playstation 4 best games ever made 2019

June 12, 2019 at 10:28 am

Awesome blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.

Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally overwhelmed ..
    Any tips? Bless you!

10. quest bars

June 16, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Terrific work! This is the kind of info that should be shared across the
    net. Disgrace on the search engines for now not positioning this
    post higher! Come on over and talk over with my web
    site . Thank you =)

11. quest bars cheap

June 23, 2019 at 7:17 am

I’m curious to find out what blog platform you have been utilizing?

I’m having some minor security problems with my latest
    blog and I would like to find something more risk-free.
    Do you have any suggestions?

12. quest bars cheap

July 11, 2019 at 12:34 am

After I originally commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify
    me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a
    comment is added I receive four emails with the exact same comment.
    Perhaps there is a way you can remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!

13. how to get help in windows 10

July 16, 2019 at 11:58 am

Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your post seem to be running off
    the screen in Ie. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web
    browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to
    let you know. The design look great though! Hope you get the
    problem resolved soon. Thanks