After the horrific and historical fires in California, some of the same area is now hit with devastating mudslides.
At least eight people are missing on Jan. 11 after mudslides and boulders destroyed homes in Santa Barbara County, reports CNN. At least 17 people have been reported dead in the natural disaster.
“This is going to be a long and difficult journey for all of us,” said Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown, according to NBC News.
Floodwaters and mudslides have destroyed 65 homes in the county and damaged 462 others, according to spokeswoman Susan Klien-Rothschild. Twenty commercial buildings were also damaged, and eight were destroyed.
“Right now, our assets are focused on determining if anyone is still alive in any of those structures that have been damaged,” Brown said.
Debris from the mudslides has also caused parts of major thoroughfare U.S. 101 to be shut down. The closed sections of freeway are not expected to reopen until Jan. 14.
Authorities had reportedly warned residents to evacuate, but fewer than a fifth of those ordered to evacuate before the floods did so.
Residents in the area have been advised to boil water before drinking it because of damage to the water supply infrastructure, reports NPR. Power outages have also affected more than 6,000 homes and businesses mainly in the Montecito area.
Search crews have done a primary search of 75 percent of the debris for survivors so far as of Jan. 10, with over 500 first responders and 10 dogs searching the area.